Tuesday, June 16, 2009

My big new undertaking...Reading.

I'm actually going to do something with this blog of mine, that has been created like an orphaned child at the age of 7, left to the wayside like unwanted soy milk. So what would be a fitting challenge for me? A student not in school, his brain losing it's sharpness and wit? I answer you in one sentence:

Read the winners of the Pulitzer Prize from 1917 to the present.

Seems ambitious yes; however, it seems a noble challenge. So here's the first novel: His Family, by Ernest Poole.

So here's the plan. I'll read a chapter and post my thoughts on why it would be picked as the best fiction of that year. So, reader, let us embark.

ps. If you want to read it with me, you can find Poole's novel on Gutenberg. http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/14396
Enjoy.

1 comment:

James Rosenzweig said...

Hi! I'm doing the same thing you are, in fact--not as systematically chapter by chapter, but the general goal of reading the Pulitzer Prize winners in order, and commenting about them along the way. I'm pretty happy with "His Family" also-- if you're interested, you can see my posts at http://followingpulitzer.wordpress.com where, as you'll note, I haven't gotten too far yet. Anyway, when I stumbled into your blog and saw you were attempting the same thing, I thought I'd wish you luck: I hope the reading's going well!